I am excited you have considered the South Padre Island area for your next purchase and below is a timeline to help you through the process.
- You will want to sign a Buyer's Representation agreement to guarantee 100% representation. The listing agent will be representing the seller. If you decide on a property my fees are paid by the seller.
- Make a loan application to obtain a pre-approval letter & provide me with lender name, phone number, and email address. This will increase our negotiating power when presenting an offer. Contact a local lender from the list provided below or choose one of your own. PLEASE SEE THE INCLUDED BUYER'S DO'S AND DON'TS
- Discuss your criteria and budget with me, so I can provide a list of properties that match your needs. This list includes "all" active listings in the SPI MLS.
- Review the list of properties I provide and if possible drive by those properties and decide which properties interest you. Provide the list to me and I will schedule a day/time to view those properties with you.
|Greg Jones w/ Island Mortgage||956-761-7400|
|Kathy Woolam w/ The Mortgage Ladies||956-778-0578|
1. I will create an offer and necessary forms for you to sign and submit
Be prepared to submit two checks w/ your offer:
- Earnest money for Title Company
- Option check for the seller- I will provide the receivers information.
Your offer has been accepted and the contract signed...
- I will submit contract w/ earnest money to title company & deliver the option check to listing agent
- I will provide your lender w/ a copy of contract with the MLS sheet
- Your termination option period begins with the execution date; therefore, you need to choose a home inspector and IMMEDIATELY schedule your home inspection. Below is a list of inspectors that have come recommended by past buyers or you can choose one on your own.
- Contact an insurance company to arrange coverage and provide your lenders information to them so they can provide the policy to them. Please provide me with the name, number and email address of the company you decide to use. Below is a list of local companies to choose from or you can choose one on your own. The MLS Will be provided to your insurer
|Carroll Home Inspection||956-459-2636|
|Stone Home Inspections||956-545-3929|
|Hit Service Inspections||956-421-4649|
|Sniper Pest Control||956-584-1411|
|Safeguard Pest Control||800-738-8237|
|CVA (Mark Atkinson)||956-364-2001|
|Bob Sales Insurance||956-772-4600|
|Cameron County Insurance Center||956-943-6481|
|Coastal Insurance (Daniel Lopez)||956-943-6801|
|Farm Bureau (Joe Murphy)||956-399-8183|
|Shepard, Walton & King||956-423-8755|
|Texas Insurance Managers||956-423-6986|
- Call me to Discuss the report to decide if a request for repairs should be submitted to the seller. If you want to request any repairs from the seller, I will need to submit the request in writing on an amendment prior to the termination option period expiring. See paragraph 23 for time frame.
- If the seller did not provide a survey with a T47: you will need to ask the title company to order one for you. Ask the title company to provide a copy to your lender and to me. I will provide your lender with a copy.
- Contact the title company to schedule your closing. Confirm if you will be at the title company for closing or if your package will need to be mailed to you (confirm the mailing address to receive that package). Provide a phone number, email address as well as a mailing address for documents being mailed after the closing. You CANNOT write a personal check.
- Schedule utilities to be turned on in your name on the day of closing. List included. Exception: The water company can be set up but they will require a copy of the deed after it is signed to complete the transfer.
- Inform me if you would like to have a walk-through of the property the day of closing but prior to signing the paperwork.
- I will review the closing disclosure (CD) with you to proof for errors.
- Bring copies of all your paperwork especially any receipts that have been paid for the various Texas insurance requirements. In some cases, you may have already paid, but the title company has instructions to collect at closing. With the proper receipts, you will not have to double pay.
- Confirm with the title company what you will need to bring to closing.
- Bring your driver's license or passport to closing.
- Contact local post office and start your mail service
- Obtain your Texas Driver's License (if applicable)
- Register to Vote (can be done at same times as driver's license)
- Begin the school enrollment process for your children
- File as the new owner with the Cameron County Tax assessor and file for any qualifying exemptions — homestead, over 65+
- Register with the homeowners association if applicable
- Finalize water service at the Laguna Madre Water District. Detailed information can be found in the Around Town Booklet I will provide to you.
- Pick up the key from my office if it was not provided to you at closing.
- Go to your local city hall and obtain your hurricane sticker.
I hope you enjoy the South Texas Area as much as I do and feel free to contact me if you have questions. Remember, I'm not just your real estate agent; I'm your neighbor.
Welcome to the Neighborhood!!